Hope you enjoy reading my blog.
I'd love to hear what you think so please leave comments.
Please subscribe to my RSS feed to stay up to date with my blog.


Monday 1 February 2010

Language and Uniform

When I was in my office on Friday last week, during a general conversation that was based around the closure of Borders and specificly the one at the Glasgow Fort, the word "hoaching" was used to describe the Borders during it's final days before closure.

I knew exactly what was meant, but one of the other folk who is not Scottish did not understand what was "hoaching" meant, despite having lived in the West of Scotland for quite a number of years now.
So, now I've given you a clue that "hoaching" is a Scottish word, do you know what it means?

Hoaching means:
- To have a plentyful supply of
- To teem with
- Busy

While those definitions explain what "hoaching" means I personally still think "hoaching" is a far better descriptive word of just how very busy Borders was.

Isn't funny how everyday we use words which we assume those around us understand. But do we as Christians use words to explain our beliefs and our faith, in a way non believers can understand?

My Thoughts...
I have no answer to this question for you, this is a question we must each answer based on our own experiences. Don't be surprised if you find your answer is "no" because, personally I think that we as Christians, can often seem a different breed to non Christians because of the words/phases we use when talking about our our faith and the Bible.

Although I've attended the Salvation Army all my life, and have been a uniform wearing Salvationist for a number of years now, it doesn't stop me from feeling that maybe the Salvation Army isn't as welcoming and open to everyone as it likes to think it is.

So what do I mean by that? Well going back on my previous comments about how the way Christians talk may put non believers off finding out more, I think that sometimes the Salvation Army can be seen as an exclusive club, only accessible to those who wear their specific uniform.

Just a few thoughts today to get you all thinking at the start of another week!

I'd be interested to hear your views on what I've said today, so please comment on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment