Hope you enjoy reading my blog.
I'd love to hear what you think so please leave comments.
Please subscribe to my RSS feed to stay up to date with my blog.


Friday 17 April 2009

An Eventful Journey

What should have been a simple 20 minute journey home after work today ended up being one I'm not likely to forget for some time...

While driving along I suddenly realised that a few hundred yards ahead of me on the pavement a woman on her own had suddenly collapsed in a heap and did not get back up again. Although there were a few other cars about, there was only one other pedestrian on the other side of the road, so I stopped to see if I could help.

To be honest I didn't really think about what I was doing, I just went into auto pilot. By the time I'd stopped the car and got out, the guy that had been walking along the other side of the road had reaching the lady, who we discovered was unconscious. I called an ambulance and within a couple of minutes the police arrived followed a couple of minutes later by an ambulance and paramedic car!

The result of all that was by the time they got the lady into the ambulance she'd regained consciousness which hopefully was a good sign. They told us the lady had probably suffered a heart attack. I don't even know what the lady's name was, but I hope she is OK.

I pray God will be with this lady and her family and help her to make a full recovery.

Looking back on these events, what saddened me most was that although there was other drivers in the area who must have seen the lady collapse, I was the only one who stopped. Having said that, at last one person other than myself, came to help, the guy who was walking on the other side of the road. It's a sad reflection of the society we live in these days that people are not willing to help a strange in need.

Since returning home tonight, I've found myself thinking about The Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37). So even if you are familiar with this bible story, I invite you to read it again, but this time think about what you would do if faced with a similar situation.

Tonight, as well as praying for the lady who took ill, have spent time praying that our world might become a more loving and caring place once again. Where we are all more aware of those around us and are particularly conscious of their needs and more willing to help one another when we are in need.

1 comment:

Louise said...

(((hugs))) but also well done for stopping. I'd hate to be left lying in the street if I collapsed.

Post a Comment