Hope you enjoy reading my blog.
I'd love to hear what you think so please leave comments.
Please subscribe to my RSS feed to stay up to date with my blog.


Monday 20 April 2009

The Power of the Cross

Music has always been a very big part of my life both in my family life and in my Christian life. I must admit to always having found it very difficult to tell others about my Christianity, not because I'm ashamed of it in any way, but simply because I find it very hard to find the right words that really express the emotion I feel about my faith.

It's probably these reasons that have meant that however I'm feeling I tend to turn to music to express my feelings. Yesterday I'd intended sharing with you one of my favourite Easter songs, but as you will be aware from my blog post yesterday, events at our morning service directed me to "talk" about Zimbabwe instead.

I came across this song a year or two ago, and so far I have found no other song that allows the listener to truly feel the emotion and the importance of the cross where our Lord was crucified - The song is entitled "The Power of the Cross".

So at the end of this Easter period, I'd like to invite you to watch the video of this song which is accompanied by a very powerful presentation. I am sure you'll be moved by the words, music and the pictures, just as I am every time I watch/listen to it.




The Power of the Cross (written by Keith Getty)

Oh, to see the dawn
Of the darkest day:
Christ on the road to Calvary.
Tried by sinful men,
Torn and beaten, then
Nailed to a cross of wood.

CHORUS:
This, the pow'r of the cross:
Christ became sin for us;
Took the blame, bore the wrath
We stand forgiven at the cross.

Oh, to see the pain
Written on Your face,
Bearing the awesome weight of sin.
Ev'ry bitter thought,
Ev'ry evil deed
Crowning Your bloodstained brow.

Now the daylight flees;
Now the ground beneath
Quakes as its Maker bows His head.
Curtain torn in two,
Dead are raised to life;
"Finished!" the vict'ry cry.

Oh, to see my name
Written in the wounds,
For through Your suffering I am free.
Death is crushed to death;
Life is mine to live,
Won through Your selfless love.

FINAL CHORUS:
This, the pow'r of the cross:
Son of God—slain for us.
What a love! What a cost!
We stand forgiven at the cross.

You can find further details about Keith & Kristyn Getty at there website: http://www.gettymusic.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for an incredibly moving post. God works in the strangest of ways - I've been talking to friends recently about guilt/forgiveness issues that I myself carry but I've not really been able to make such a direct connection with the cross. I wasn't sure I'd 'get' the whole point of blogging but tonight, I honestly believe that God has used your post to open my eyes a little more to the importance of the message of the cross.
Thank you x

Post a Comment