Hope you enjoy reading my blog.
I'd love to hear what you think so please leave comments.
Please subscribe to my RSS feed to stay up to date with my blog.


Wednesday 15 April 2009

Remembrance

I did not have to look far for inspiration for today's post, as many of the headlines today remind us that today marks the 20th anniversary of the day when 96 football supporters lost their lives at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough.


Today many will spend time remembering the tragic events that unfolded on that fateful day in Hillsborough, in 1989 - those who were there, those who lost family members or friends, those associated with the clubs involved as well as all the rest of us who remember where we were and what we were doing when the news of the unfolding tragedy came through - I was sitting in my bedroom watching the snooker on the TV when there was a news flash to inform us what was happening. I still remember to this day the shocking scenes/pictures that came through from Hillsborough and the shock and disbelief I felt at what I was seeing/hearing.


I cannot comprehend what it was like for those who were at Hillsborough that day - all I was able to then when the news came through, and all I am able to do now is pray for those affected by the tragedy.

Today I ask that you remember in prayer those whose lives were affected by the Hillsborough tragedy. Those who were there and survived and those who lost loved ones still need our prayers - their physical pain may have gone, but their loss is still profound.

Remember the 96.



Remember those killed in the other football disasters where UK teams were involved:
Heysel...39 people lost their lives...



Bradford...56 people lost their lives...



Ibrox...66 people lost their lives...




Please remember them all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I'll never forget Hillsborough, Heysel or Bradford. I watched all three unfold live on TV.

My ex-father in law was at the game at Ibrox when the disaster there happened. He only ever went back once.

My colleague was pulled from the crowd at Hillsborough.

These were people. We should never reduce them to numbers or nameless victims. And we should remember them all.

Post a Comment