Hope you enjoy reading my blog.
I'd love to hear what you think so please leave comments.
Please subscribe to my RSS feed to stay up to date with my blog.


Thursday 16 April 2009

It's Thursday Night!

...and for me that means band practice night. No I'm not in a rock band, I am in fact a member of the Bellshill Salvation Army Band, where I play trombone. So today I thought I'd tell you a wee bit more about me and the Salvation Army.


My Mum's side of the family has always been in the Salvation Army so I was taken along to the services at Rutherglen, from a very early age. When I was 7 I gave my heart to Jesus. I joined the Singing Company (which is the junior choir), and about 5/6 years later I joined the Young People's Band (the junior band) playing percussion for a few months before moving onto trombone.

When I was 18, after a number of years of doubt and soul searching, I decided that I wanted to continue serving God through the Salvation Army, so became what we call "soldier" - I wear Salvation Army uniform. From then I sang in our Songster Brigade (senior choir) and played in the Band.

I continued to attend the Salvation Army in Rutherglen until 2002. Since then I have been attending Salvation Army in Bellshill where I play in the band and also look after the band's website (www.bsab.co.uk).

I have been very priviliged to travel with the band to a number of place in Scotland, England and further afield. Our Easter Tour in 2003 to the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium was a particular high for all of us in the band. You can read more about all the places we've visited in the band's website.

The band has recorded 4 CDs, the last of which we just recorded a few weeks ago and has not yet been released. It was really hard work recording the CDs but I'm sure those who have listened to them will tell you our hard work has been well worth it! Again if you want more details please visit the band's website.

So there you go, that's a very brief history of my time in the Salvation Army. If you want to know more, I have two testimonies listed on the band's website, plus if you keep reading the blog I may tell you more about me in the coming weeks. :)
Today I've been thanking God for the allowing me the opportunity to play in the band again - for several years I was unable to play much due to some health issues. Music has always been a big part of my life and so I find it a great way of expressing my faith and praising God's name.

I'd ask that today you say thank you to God for the wonderful music that He has inspired many to write, and for those use their musical talents to share God's message by singing/playing the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment