Hope you enjoy reading my blog.
I'd love to hear what you think so please leave comments.
Please subscribe to my RSS feed to stay up to date with my blog.


Sunday 28 June 2009

Challenged

Last night I got around to watching the BBC's two part programme called Famous, Rich and Homeless, which puts homelessness in the spotlight by getting five famous volunteers to agree to swap their lavish lifestyles, fame and fortune for a world of sleeping rough, soup runs and hostels for 10 days


At a time when our economy is in recession and repossession become reality for so many, homelessness is a becoming a more frightening possibility for lots of folk.

In the programmes the volunteers are stripped of everything they value, given clothes more applicable to their new homeless status, and also a sleeping bag to symbolise their new life. We are then shown how they adjust to being invisible, vulnerable and desperate as homeless people living on the streets of London and then later in the programmes, living in a homeless hostel (some in London, others in Glasgow).
The physical and emotional experience of the volunteers during their ten days on the streets was plain to see during the programme. The volunteers found themselves challenging their prejudices and preconceptions of homelessness and the different reasons and circumstances that result in someone without having no home - something that we all take for granted.

I must be honest, I shed a number of tears while watching these programmes. It was soul wrenching to hear the stories of some of those of the homeless folk the volunteers encountered, and the circumstances which had caused them to end up on the street. I for one have been challenged by the programmes, as I am ashamed to say I feel embarrassed/awkward when I see/encounter homeless folk, and where possible would probably try and avoid having to speak to them. I cannot truly express how ashamed I now feel.

There is one thing that sticks in my memory that a number of the homeless folk said, and that was the extreme loneliness they feel when living on the streets. If I'm honest, I think that just added to my feelings of guilt as I know I often try to avoid homeless people when I see them on the street, as I'm not good at dealing with new situations or talking to folk I don't know. Just because I feel awkward or uncomfortable does not make it ok for me to avoid these people, after all they are the very ones who need my help, even if it's just to talk

I have forgotten that homeless people are in real people too, just like me and you! They are God's children just as much the rest of us!


So many of the folk who find themselves having to live on the streets, find themselves doing so simply because of the circumstances or situations they have found themselves in, often through no fault of their own. Having watched these programmes and found myself challenging my perception of the homeless, I spent a long time in prayer, not just for those who find themselves living on the streets, but also for myself, that God will give me the strength and guidance to approach homeless people and talk to them, rather than avoiding them.

We must thank God for giving us the kind of lifestyle we have. At times we may complain and think our lives are terrible, but out lives are luxurious compared to those living on the streets.

Please pray for the following:

  • Those who find themselves living on the streets
  • Those who work with the homeless
  • The safety of of homeless and those who work with them
  • The families of the homeless
  • That those from broken families may find peace and reconciliation so can return home


We are all God's children. We must do what we can look after one another...those we know and those we don't, those who are doing well and those who have hit hard times.

You can see the two BBC programmes at BBC iPlayer : http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=Famous,%20Rich%20and%20Homeless

No comments:

Post a Comment