Hope you enjoy reading my blog.
I'd love to hear what you think so please leave comments.
Please subscribe to my RSS feed to stay up to date with my blog.


Sunday 14 June 2009

Someone Cares

Well this post today is another tough one for me to write, simply because I'm not good at coping with showing my emotions publicly. Hopefully thought through something I say here it might touch a chord in someone else's heart too.

These last few days have been difficult for me as I've been feeling rather fragile emotionally - don't really know why, which in many ways just makes it harder to cope with.


On Thursday night at our band practice we were told what we'd be playing in our morning service today - two pieces both of which are special to me. I was also made aware of what our Songsters (adult choir) would be singing too, and that too was a song that always touches my heart. So by the time I got home from our practice on Thursday I was already worrying about how I'd manage to get through this mornings meeting without falling apart!

Before I go on, I want to say that although I'm about to talk this morning's service from my perspective, I want to point out that this was actually a very special day for one person this morning as they were making their public commitment to service God, by being enrolled as a soldier (member) of the Salvation Army.


Everything that happened in the meeting this morning, seemed to be directed specifically to me (although of course it was actually directed to all present!). For the music from the band, junior band and adult and junior choirs, to the congregational songs, testimony and the sermon itself.

Here's just some of the music from this morning:-

  • Love Changes Everything - played by the band
  • The Power of Your Love - congregational song
  • Forever, I Do - sung by the singing company (junior choir)
  • Be Still - played by the YP Band (junior band)
  • Someone Cares - cornet solo played by the band
  • All That I Am - sung by the the songsters (adult choir)
I'm sure you can tell even just by the titles of these pieces, that they are very powerful and emotional pieces of music.

I struggled through most of the meeting, feeling a bit emotional at various points, but found it very difficult to keep my emotions in check during part of the sermon, when the love and support of the folks at the corps was talked about. For those of you who don't know, these last few years have been difficult ones for me because of health issues - at times I felt so very alone and forgotten by many I worship with, having little or no contact with anyone from there during these times. I do know now though that while I maybe didn't have much direct contact with these folk during these years, they hadn't actually forgotten me as they continued to support me in prayer - for that I thank them sincerely.

So I think just all that talk of love and support during difficult times is what caused me to feel all emotional again as it just got me thinking about some of my lowest and loneliest times again; about how I'm currently feeling physically and emotionally; as well as what the future may hold.


I mentioned that the band played "Someone Cares", well that song has been a special favourite of mine since I first sang it as a congregational song, many years ago. It reminds us that no matter how we feel, or how lonely we feel at times, someone does care about us, God cares.

Do you sometimes feel that no one truly knows you,
And that no one understands or really cares?
Through his people, God himself is close beside you,
And through them he plans to answer all your prayers.

Someone cares, someone cares,
Someone knows your deepest need, your burden shares;
Someone cares, someone cares,
God himself will hear the whisper of your prayers.

Ours is not a distant God, remote, unfeeling,
Who is careless of our loneliness and pain,
Through the ministry of men he gives his healing,
In their dedicated hands brings hope again.

Someone cares, someone cares,
Someone knows your deepest need, your burden shares;
Someone cares, someone cares,
God himself will hear the whisper of your prayers.

Beautiful words, meaningful words, and words I can completely relate to, as I know someone does care about me.

Do you believe someone cares about you?
Hold onto the words of the above song as God does care about you and me:

Someone cares, someone cares,
Someone knows your deepest need, your burden shares;
Someone cares, someone cares,
God himself will hear the whisper of your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment