Hope you enjoy reading my blog.
I'd love to hear what you think so please leave comments.
Please subscribe to my RSS feed to stay up to date with my blog.


Wednesday 13 May 2009

DVD Players versus Bibles

So how many of you just came to read this blog because of its title?

Even if it was just the title that got you here, I hope you read on...

This whole post was instigated by a discussion that started at work today, when somehow or other the conversation got round to how many DVD players we each had in our houses. So we each got counting and came up with a number...compared our results, wondered how some had got so many, only to find we'd forgotten about some types of DVD player we had ourselves!

So how many DVD player do you have in your house?

Here's some of those you need to remember to count:

  • DVD player
  • DVD recorder
  • pcs
  • laptops
  • games consoles

Well did you get them all? Are you surprised how many you have? I certainly was - the other guys at work were also surprised.

Well when I realised just how many DVD players we all have, I wondered how many of them we actually use on a regular basis. For us we certainly do not use all our DVD players on a regular basis, some we do, others I couldn't tell you the last time we used them!

So where am I going with this? Given the number of DVD players I'm sure we all possess but don't use very often, I wondered, is the same thing true of the Bibles we possess!

So, some questions for you to consider:

  • How many bibles do you have in your home?
  • How many of your Bibles do you use regularly?
  • Do you use your DVD players more regularly than your Bibles?
  • How often do you read your Bible?
  • How long do you spend reading/studying your Bible?

Now I've thrown a number of questions at you, what's your reaction to your answers? I was quite shocked by my answers to the above questions. We spend a lot of time these days watch tv, dvds, playing computer games, using pcs/laptops, but do we spend enough of our time reading our bible and praying?

Because of my own answers to the above questions, I'm reevaluating how I spend my time, do you need to do that too?


We only grow spiritually when we read and understand God's Word, and spend time praying and listening to God speaking to us.

Enjoy the music but also acknowledge the message presented in the following video: "Thy Word" by Michael W Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment